Beat the Texas heat this summer with a working air conditioner. To ensure your unit is able to properly cool your home, call Burnside Air Conditioning, Heating & Indoor Air Quality for tune-ups, maintenance, and repairs in Melissa, TX. In business since 1958, we bring experience to each job and offer flat-rate pricing.
Is your AC unit nearing the end of its lifespan? Contact us to learn about our air conditioner installation services.
Common Air Conditioner Issues
When the summer heat and humidity hit Texas, the last thing you want to deal with is walking into a hothouse. To ensure your home stays cool and comfortable, it’s important to watch for common air conditioner issues that can signal you need to call a service company. These can include:
- The unit isn’t producing cold air: If your system isn’t cooling your home - even with the thermostat turned down - it should be inspected by an AC contractor.
- Air isn’t flowing through your vents properly: This can cause your unit to work harder than it needs to cool your home, resulting in higher utility bills.
- There are hot and cold spots throughout your house: This uneven heating can signal an issue that needs to be inspected by a professional.
- There is moisture leaking from around the air conditioner: This can indicate the drain tube is blocked or broken. This can also signal a refrigerant leak, so it’s important to have a professional inspect the moisture to prevent health issues.
What Professionals Do During Routine AC Maintenance?
You might know that you should have your air conditioner serviced at least once a year, but do you know what contractors do during these routine maintenance appointments? Some of the tasks you can expect a professional to complete during a tune-up include:
- Inspect the unit for any leaks, including a refrigerant leak.
- Check the level of refrigerant and recharge the unit as needed.
- Examine the air ducts to look for leaks and debris.
- Inspect your air ducts for excessive debris and potential leaks. If any issues are discovered, the contractor may recommend specific air duct services.
- Check the evaporator coil to ensure the right amount of air is flowing through it and inspect it for other issues.
- Examine the electric terminals and determine if a non-conductive coating needs to be applied.
- Inspect the motors and apply oil as needed.
- Check the belts to determine if they need to be replaced.
- Examine all other working components to ensure they are working properly. If there is an issue, a professional may recommend replacing a part now before it completely fails later, requiring additional maintenance.
- Check the thermostat to ensure it’s properly controlling the indoor climate.
Reduce your family’s allergy and asthma symptoms by installing an air cleaner and filtration system. Contact us to learn more!
Symptoms that Indicate Your AC Needs Professional Repairs
When your air conditioner fails to produce cool air, it can be an obvious indication that your unit needs to be serviced by a professional. But there are also less obvious symptoms that can signal you need repairs. Other signs to watch for can include:
- Your house isn’t reaching the temperature set on the thermostat.
- Water is pooling under your ducts or near the drain tube.
- Your system is cooling your home unevenly, leaving hot and cold spots.
- There is an increase in your monthly utility bills.