Winter is nearly upon us. It’s getting cold. Too cold, in fact! You’re probably searching for a blanket right now. The last thing you want to do is come home to a cold house.
The best time to examine and evaluate the strength of your home’s furnace is before the unit fails, not as problems begin to arise. Remember, it’s best to be proactive, especially when it comes to maintenance.
Evaluating Your Furnace
So, when is it time to replace your furnace? Since the furnace was most likely in place before you moved into the house, the first thing to is to consider its age. This task may seem simple, such as looking at the owner’s manual, or you may need to call the original manufacturer with the model number. In either case, a little detective work is required.
- Average Lifespan – Today’s residential furnaces operate for 20 to 30 years. If your unit is over 15 years, you may want to consider a replacement.
- Energy Efficiency – Efficiency is the name of the game. Every homeowner wants to save money on their utility bills, and rightfully so. New Energy-Star-certified gas furnaces are usually 15% more efficient than conventional gas, saving an average of $94 per year.
Putting age on the backburner, there are significant – visible – signs to consider. Namely:
- Does your furnace require frequent repairs?
- Is your energy bill on the rise each month?
- Are the rooms in your home unevenly heated?
- Is the furnace cycling more frequently?
- Do you experience humidity troubles in the house?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then you most likely require a furnace replacement. Call for professional service promptly.
Give Us a Call!
If you suspect your furnace is on its last legs, contact Burnside Air Conditioning, Heating & Indoor Air Quality by calling 972-215-7992. In fact, we’ll inspect your system and provide our professional opinions!