Choosing the perfect air conditioning system is crucial to your home’s comfort and energy efficiency levels. If you mistakenly purchase a larger-than-needed system, you’re wasting money. There are factors to consider in the decision-making process. In fact, the right system will affect the performance, efficiency, and total cost. As a homeowner, you cannot afford to forego such vital factors.
Why Size Matters
Selecting the right size air conditioner is key to your home’s cooling system. Sizing an air conditioner typically requires a consultation with a specialist. You’ll want someone with firsthand knowledge of residential air conditioning systems. Some factors they’ll consider include:
- Total volume of your home’s living space
- Any exterior area exposed to direct sunlight
- The number, age, and condition of windows
- The amount of sunshine inside your home
- The age of your home
- Degree of sealing and insulation
- Existing ventilation and ductwork
- Shade from trees or nearby shrubbery
Energy efficiency is the name of the game. You want every system in your home using as little energy as possible, which directly translates to your monthly utility bills. The less energy used, the more you save.
- Too large – If you purchase an air conditioning system that is too large for your home, it will run like an old system. The unit will power on quickly, cool the house rapidly, then cycle off. This process will then repeat itself shortly. The end results? A rising utility bill.
- Too small – A too small air conditioner, on the other hand, will constantly run, wasting energy. The unit will spend the entire day trying to keep up with rising temperatures in the house, but without much success.
To determine the right size air conditioner, contact Burnside Air Conditioning by calling 972-439-9923. We’re happy to help keep your home fresh and efficient.